As an agent, you’ll run into situations where you may need to verify the income and immigration status of your clients. You will need to do so in order to properly enroll these individuals or families in ACA health insurance coverage. Consider this a checklist to go through when starting the enrollment process with new clients to verify they have the correct identification and documentation.

What documents can be used to verify immigration status?

Clients need to have at least one of the following types of documentation to verify their immigration status. In best-case scenarios, these clients will have an alien number as well:

  • Permanent Resident Card, “Green Card” (I-551)
  • Reentry Permit (I-327)
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
  • Employment Authorization Document (I-766)
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (with temporary I-551 language)
  • Temporary I-551 Stamp (on passport or I-94/I-94A)
  • Arrival/Departure Record (I-94/I-94A)
  • Arrival/Departure Record in foreign passport (I-94)
  • Foreign Passport
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20)
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (DS2019)
  • Notice of Action (I-797)
  • Document indicating membership in a federally recognized Indian tribe or American Indian born in Canada
  • Certification from U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)
  • Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) eligibility letter (if under 18)
  • Alien number (also called alien registration number or USCIS number) or I-94 number
  • What documents can be used to verify income?
  • Clients will need documents that show their income and financial status if the information submitted on the Marketplace does not pass verification. So, you will need to receive at least one of the following income verification documents from your client:
  • 1040 federal or state tax return
  • Wages and tax statement (W-2 and/ or 1099, including 1099-MISC, 1099-G, 1099-R, SSA-1099, 1099-DIV, 1099-S, 1099-INT)
  • Pay stub
  • Self-employment ledger documentation (can be a Schedule C, the most recent quarterly or year-to-date profit and loss statement, or a self-employment ledger)
  • Social Security Administration Statements (Social Security Benefits Letter)
  • Unemployment Benefits Letter

Learn more about ACA contracting so you can be the best agent you can be this open enrollment period.

Agility Producer Support
(866) 590-9771